Local Government Parental Leave & Flexible Working Arrangements FAQs

Yes, employees who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to paid parental leave in accordance with the Paid Parental Leave Act 2010 and employees may also have an entitlement to parental leave make up pay, under section 22(G) of the award.

Yes, an employee (other than a casual), who is a supporting parent shall be entitled to up to 2 weeks paid concurrent parental leave from their accrued sick leave balance, provided that they have at least 12 months continuous service.

Refer clause 22(H) of the Award.

Yes, an employee will receive Adoption Leave entitlements if they meet the eligibility criteria in the Fair Work Act 2009, refer to Clause 22(I).

Yes, requests for a flexible working arrangement can be made by employees who meet the following criteria

  • is the parent, or has responsibility for the care, of a child who is of school age or younger
  • is a carer (within the meaning of the Carer Recognition Act 2010 (Cth)
  • has a disability
  • is 55 or older
  • is experiencing violence from a member of the employee’s immediate family
  • or where an employee can demonstrate a genuine need for flexible work and leave arrangements to attend to work and family responsibilities.

A request must be made in writing and set out the details of the change sought and of the reasons for the change.

The employer must consider the request and give the employee a written response to the request within 21 days, stating whether the employer grants or refuses the request.

The employer may refuse the request only on reasonable business grounds.

See Clause 23 (i) to (ix) of the Award.

Yes, by agreement. Please refer to clause 24.

The agreement may be varied from time to time (by agreement) to suit the specific needs of the Local Council.

See clause 24 (iii) for further details.

10 days’ paid leave for full-time and part-time employees. Casual employees are unpaid.

No, it is available at the start of each year of service of the employee but does not accumulate from year to year.